Sunday, February 5, 2012

Couch 2 5K: Week Four (or what I call Week 3.5)

WHAT A WEEK! The program this week called for:

Walk for 5 minutes
Run for 3 minutes
Walk 90 seconds
Run for 5 minutes
Walk for 2 minutes 30 seconds
Run for 3 minutes
Walk 90 seconds
Run for 5 minutes
Walk for 2 minutes 30 seconds
Walk 5 minutes
TOTAL: 33 minutes

Well, I never was able to do that this week and to be honest I was REALLY discouraged by the time it was time to attempt the 3rd run of the week I REALLY just wanted to give up but I ALWAYS give up when it come to exercise and I saw this on Pinterest this week and I just kept saying it over and over to myself.

This is what I actually did:
RUN 1:
Walk 5 minutes
Run 3 minutes
Walk 9 secs
Run 3 minutes
Walk 4 minutes 30 seconds
Run 3 minutes
Walk 90 secs
Run 3 minutes
walk 4 minutes 30 seconds
Run 3 minutes
Walk 2 minutes 30  seconds
Walk 5 minutes

RUN 2:
Walk 5 minutes
Run 3 minutes
Walk 90 seconds
Run 2 minutes
Walk 5 minutes 30 seconds
Run 2 minutes
Walk 6 minutes 30 seconds
Run 2 minutes
Walk 3 minutes
IT WAS POURING the day of run 2!  I don't know what was going on with me but I didn't even finish the run and I was wheezing! I left the gym feeling like a failure but keep telling myself that I can do it and will the next run!

RUN 3:
Walk 5 minutes
Run 3 minutes
Walk 90 seconds
Run 3 minutes 30 seconds
Walk 4 minutes
Run 3 minutes
Walk 90 seconds
Run 4 minutes
Walk 3 minutes 30 seconds
Walk 5 minutes

The 3rd day I decided to try a new YMCA by the church. When I walked in I was very nervous because it was soooo hot in the building! I got on the treadmill with the goal of just running what I did the first day.  I noticed the person next to me was walking and running a little slower than I do so I adjusted my speed to theirs. I then noticed after I started running that I was not as focused on the time on what was supposed the 5 minute run so I said I was going to try to push it 30 more seconds and then by the time I got to the 4th run I had talked myself into pushing for 4 minutes! I wanted to jump up and down on the treadmill screaming I DID IT!
Next week I will stick with week 4 and just keep pushing myself a little more each run!


Lesson Learned: It is funny but I never would have felt as accomplished as I did with run 3 if run 2 had never happened. Reminds me of so much that has happened in my life that I would not appreciate what I have now and the blessings if I had not gone through the hard times.

1 comment:

  1. You are so awesome! That person beside you on the other treadmill became such a distraction that you were able to focus on the real goal which has always been, just doing better today than yesterday, right? 4 minutes - that is awesome! I can't wait to see what the new week brings! Keep it up since giving it up isn't an option, I know you will!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete