Saturday, October 1, 2011

Trash to Treasure Inspirations!!!

SO, a new show on TV called "Picker Sisters" has really awakened something inside me.

"Starring best friends and renowned interior designers Tracy Hutson and Tanya McQueen ("Extreme Makeover: Home Edition"), "Picker Sisters" reaffirms the classic saying “one person’s trash is another’s treasure” by following the design duo as they crisscross America in search of rare relics and materials to create stunning pieces for their Los Angeles home décor pop-up shop."

I also have recently joined Pinterest!!

"Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes.
Best of all, you can browse pinboards created by other people. Browsing pinboards is a fun way to discover new things and get inspiration from people who share your interests."

So between the two the last few weeks I have started going to LOTS of Thrift Stores finding "Old things and Making them new again!"  I was not good at taking "BEFORE" pics but I will be from now on.
The one of the first things I bought was this wood box that I INSTANTLY knew I was going to do a crackle finish on and set it on our large fire place with some firewood in to tie in with the a mirror I had bought at a thrift store in Tulsa for $5!

ALL TOGETHER THESE PROJECTS COST $16!

I also "rescued" this lamp. When I brought it home it was 1970s brass and I spray painted it silver and picked up a new lamp shade at "Ross" for $7.99. The lamp was priced $10 but it had a blue sticker on it so that week it was 1/2 off so I got it for $5! I bought a $4 can of spray (which I have since used to spray paint two other lamps).

The search for these treasures has lead Misa and I to some interesting places!

There we found a GREAT milk jug for the corner of our dining room! Misa's expert negotiating skills got it for $8!

At Marys, Misa spotted this GREAT mirror that I put in our dining room and once again with his negotiating skills he got it for $5!


We also went to what is one of my favorite places now!
This place is AWESOME but PRICEY!! I like to get ideas here! Which inspired the hunt for this next pic!
I did not find this but I told my "estate saleing" friend-Diane if she saw a farmhouse lantern I WANTED IT!
I also have enjoyed making some of my on "Pinterest" projects! You can DO SO MUCH with chalkboard paint!


The Girls LOVE their new chalkboard door!

This was a fun idea to paint the side of a cabinet with chalkboard paint and have your menu for the week displayed!



This was an organization tip to hang your spray bottle on a tension rod under the sink!
This was a cheap "put it together yourself" walmart bookshelf.

I popped the back off and bought some FUN fabric and spray on adhesive and put it on the back piece I had popped off and then nailed it back on! I am going to do some other things with this fabric with the curtains and bedding.. pics to come!
LESSON LEARNED: I have had a GREAT time doing all these projects and instead of saving up a ton of money for things I have learned to see the beauty in pieces others have given up on and recreate something more modern, fun, and unique! I find myself not really wanting "cookie cutter" decorations anymore!  I am excited for my next TREASURE hunt!!

 I am currently on the look out for old shutters, an old multi-pane window, and an awesome old door!  I wish I had a trip planned soon to dig through my Aunt Elaine's BARN!

No comments:

Post a Comment